Monday, December 23, 2013

Right Place, Right Time

I had the most amazing experience yesterday that I just have to share!

I've been helping a friend at an ice cream place and happened to be working alone yesterday when a family came to the window. There was a young woman who looked to be about 18 or 19, her younger brother, and her mom and dad. I remember thinking that this young girl could be my own daughter, but not because she looked like me or even like my own daughter. I'm not sure why I felt that way but the feeling was so strong I actually had to stop myself from saying it out loud to her.

After waiting on the girl, her brother and her mom, the three of them headed back to the car. Now, after turning my attention to the dad, I realized he looked familiar to me. When I told him I thought I knew him, he told me his name, and sure enough, I did know him. About 20 years ago, I was dating a guy that worked with the man standing in front of me. I had met him and his wife and became friends with them through my then boyfriend. After getting to know them, I found out they had been trying to have a child and had gone through a couple rounds of fertility treatments that were very expensive but unsuccessful.

It was at this time one of my best friends discovered she was pregnant. She knew she didn't have the ability or desire to care for another child on her own, so she decided adoption was the best solution. I got my friend in touch with this couple and after they worked out the details, they adopted my friend's baby. That "baby" was the young woman I had felt so drawn to yesterday!

A few minutes after I had finished talking with the dad and he rejoined his family in the car, the mom and young girl came back to the window. The mom told me she wanted to introduce her daughter to the woman that was the reason she came to be part of their family. I was honored to know that's how she felt about me, but realize my role was very small and it truly was a case of being in the right place at the right time.

When I told my Monday quilting group about my experience, they told me it was a Christmas miracle. I don't know about that but I felt it was something I needed to write down and share, so here it is!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful moment. I can't help but wonder if the young girl was ever introduced to her biological mom after hearing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewLindaAnn, it was actually an open adoption so she knows her biological mom pretty well. Unfortunately for me, her mom moved away soon after she was born and I lost touch with her until recently.

      Delete
  2. An amazing moment to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing it’s an amazing incident.

    ReplyDelete