Friday, January 26, 2024

Glue for paper piecing

I recently did a search on what kind of glue is best for foundation paper piecing. I try to use glue sparingly but I always use it to attach my first piece of fabric and also any large pieces that might get folded over and sewn in wrong. I've been paper piecing for almost 25 years and I have always used Elmer's Washable School Glue stick. I thought that maybe a better product had come along in that time but I can absolutely say that I have NOT found one. One of the videos I watched suggested a repositionable glue stick and I thought "What a great idea!". It ended up not being a great idea at all! It was actually a very bad idea. Since this glue doesn't "dry", the back of my block was sticky and because I like to press both sides of my blocks I put my iron down on the glue without even thinking about it. Then I proceeded to press the front of my block and left gray smudges on it in a couple of places. As soon as I noticed that, I cleaned off my iron and used a pressing cloth on the rest of the blocks. I will find another use for the 3 glue sticks that came together in my order and stick to using Elmer's from now on. The thing I like best about Elmer's is that it dries and when it does I can usually get most, if not all, of the paper out of my finished block. Do you have a favorite tool or notion that you can't live without?

No comments:

Post a Comment