Sunday, August 21, 2011

There's more than one way to skin a cat...er, I mean...piece a quilt

This is my latest design published by Quiltmaker magazine. Its called Zanzibars and is a paper pieced quilt. There are nine blocks in the quilt and each block is a 4 patch. It was much simpler to piece than it looks.

When I make a quilt with the same block throughout, I do it "assembly line" style, which means I piece all of the same units at the same time and then move on to another unit.

When I pieced this top I made all of the quadrants of the quilt first and added the half square triangle to each one before assembling each block. But, this block is the perfect opportunity to try paper piecing a "Y" seam.

By using a "Y" seam, there is less fabric used, less seams coming together and less matching necessary. I will show my process in photographs, hopefully later this week if I get the chance to piece one of these blocks and can FIND MY CAMERA!

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this one. I saw the pattern in said magazine and thanks to your instructions, it may be possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete