Monday, January 11, 2010

New Experience

Yesterday, I took a break from quilting and did something I have never done before. My daughter's Girl Scout Troop volunteered to serve food in a soup kitchen. Because our girls are young (12 and under), the moms were asked to come along and help. The high temperature yesterday was around 14 degrees here, so the people that came, not only came for a good, hot meal, but to get out of the cold for 45 minutes. They were so appreciative of the girls' effort and were very forthcoming with their praise. It was a great experience and one that I hope to repeat in the near future. Our girls got to see how fortunate they are and how, with a little effort, they can make someone else's life better, at least for a little while. Its a shame we have homeless people at all, but it was a very rewarding experience to have had, and one that I hope others will take advantage of, if the opportunity to serve ever arises.

QUILTY SIDE NOTE: The man at the camera store was right about the type of batteries I was using in my camera. Now that I have the right kind in, my camera is working again, so I will be posting some new pics very soon!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity for your girls to give back to the community. I think it's great to teach them kindness and especially when they are young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. Now is the time when they WANT to help others, and if you don't give them the opportunity when they are young, the desire to help fades away and they become so involved in their own life and wants, they'll never know how wonderful it feels to help others.

    ReplyDelete